Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Chaos-Memorial to 9/11


This is canvas that I started some time ago and put away and have come back and got consumed working on for the past couple of weeks. All of the sudden it spoke to me to be a tribute to 9/11 victims. Beng a New Yorker we all know at least one person who was killed in these attacks.
This is a 16x20 canvas the middle face is a fibre mache mask. The surrounding abstract is all done with dyed paper towels that have ben dipped in paper towels and then drybrushed afterwards,
The middle face represents a figure dressed in a burkah. Then there is faces flowing all over representing all the innocent souls that have perished. There are pockets in between the dyed paper towels that you see the white canvas this represents the unfinished business these people left behind in their lives, The gold color in the background represents the Heavenly Light. I purposely did not use smooth faces as wanted to show the emotions of what happened but also used different faces showing different emotions.There is also some cracled spotson the canvas that stand for the fragility of life.
I am not sure if I will ad something in the space at the bottom as I keep getting the feeling to add a cripture or other quotation. But havent found something yet that I am comfortable with. This was a piece thatsome may not understand but to me it took me in a way I never thought it would.
This piece is dedicated to the memory of Mr. Fumando and all who perished on this unforgettable day. May they have Blessed Repose and Eternal Memory!

11 comments:

Mary said...

Jeff, all I can say is wow. This is so powerful. Mary Case

BTW-what is Paverpol?

Anonymous said...

Such an emotional piece Hoppa!! You have truly captured all the emotions of that day and after. Very moving, touching piece! What an artist you are!! PP will love this I'm sure!!

fabricaddict said...

... Thank you so much for sharing...
WOW!!!!! what more can I say?

JudiA said...

I remember this piece. It was waiting for this moment to call you back to it, I am sure of it. Brilliant work Jeff.

JudiA

HElen said...

Jeff, what a wonderfuland emotioanl work! Thank you!
Helen

Linda Fleming said...

Wow Jeff! This is such a beautiful, well thought out and meaningful tribute to 9/11. Such a touching and powerful piece of art work. Truly amazing, my friend!

Sprite said...

I'm not sure what else to say but Wow Jeff, it is very powerful.
I wasnt expecting to be touched by it like i was, i gasped when i read the meaning behind it and started to cry.. While going home last night I passed by ground zero, hundreds of people, holding pictures in their hands and memories in their hearts....

Thank you for creating it and for sharing it with us, I wish all of those people there could see it...may we never forget....

Hugs
Sprite

Lea said...

It is very beautiful Jeff... and stirs the soul... the colors and images so vibrant, it reminds me of how with loss and letting go, new life begins, even in the midst of grief we can find courage to see life anew... thank you for sharing this piece, it is a gift of healing and remembering...

lovestowearhats said...

What an amazing and thoughtful art piece, just beautiful, colorful and so, so touching! You did good!

Veleta (Sammy) said...

Jeff, this is a awesome piece of art... It really does say a lot about the emotion of that day... thank you for sharing a part of yourself in this piece and with us!

Fran said...

Fantastic pick of art. Thank you for sharing it with us. Great tribute to 9 11.
Love & Hugs
Frannie