Thursday, April 12, 2007

Startibg The Sphinix



I have finally started working on my third class in teh series with Marilyn Razdat. This one i am actually using a gourd as there is no egg to substitute for it. i had to wait to find the right covering as my first attempt was just to dull with the handmade paper I used. So after searching up and down the aisle at Party City this napkin grabbedmya ttention as I like festive colors. I also needed to wait for inspiration on the face as I wanted to see what my piece wanted and I used a different brand of crackle. I tried Anita's fine crackle and really like the results as it is very subtle. i then used Lumiere's gold with teal acrylic building up layer after layer and mixing the two to do my highlights till I got the look I wanted. I think i have found a way now to do my fantasy faces as never have used lumieres and acylics before and really like the look.


I am going to gold leaf the inside of mine as I think that is what I want to do with this piece. I am starting to feel now that i can take courses for technique and have to do my own thing and follow my muse in where I am heading with my pieces. But it sure is leading me to try things I never would have touched before and expanding my horizons. I never would have worked with gourds before and have to say I am enjoying them very much. now I understand why my friend Linda loves working with them so much. They are so versatile and the fact that no two are the same can provide some interesting challenges to say the least. You know that no two will ever look exactly the same. We will see where this piece leads as te journey continues.

5 comments:

MaryO said...

This sounds like a fascinating project, Grasshoppa, and I love the colors you've chosen as well as the face mask! I'll be watching your blog for further "in progress" reports!!!

Linda Fleming said...

I can not to wait to see this one done! Love how you did the face and those colors in the paper you selected are going to be perfect for this piece.
Linda

Sprite said...

Your Sphinx Looks Great so far, I cant wait to see more photos! Love the way you painted the face too.

hugs
Sprite

Colour Your Life said...

Love the face Jeff, have you ever used Krylon pens as there fantastic to use and there real gold leaf, they have got a new one out called red shimmer, l think you would love it and you can use it on fabric, its on all my hangings. Stopped selling them in the uk but am pleased as now get three for the price of one here,
Was reading how you keep the paper, l keep them as well but love washing paint of bowls when l am finished with old bits of cloth, there often better than my dyed pieces,
Jill

LifePainter said...

The face mask reminds me of my mental image of a harry potter house elf :-) I like...